Portland Master Class with Dr. Julia Nielsen
Instructor: Dr. Julia Nielsen
When: Saturday, April 13, 2019 6:30pm-9:30pm (Registration begins at 6:15pm)
Where: Ascension Episcopal Parish, 1823 SW Spring Street, Portland, OR
Fee: $50 for early registration (prepaid by April 1), $60 for regular registration (at the door or after April 1), $40 for full-time students with I.D.
Registration: Registration is limited. Please email Dr. Julia Nielsen at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot and receive payment instructions. If you would like to be considered to sing, please send your resume to email@example.com.
Participants: Although this master class was designed with classical singers and voice teachers in mind, it is open to singers of all genres.
Description: The purpose of this master class is to offer singers and teachers the opportunity to observe technical teaching in a public setting.
Some of the specific subject matter covered will include:
- A brief overview of the elements of a functional voice assessment
- Strategies for applying technique to repertoire
- The specifics of lower body support
- Achieving balanced registration in both male and female voices
- Finding optimal resonance (acoustical protection) for the voice
- What to listen and watch for in the very first voice lesson with a new student
- Properly diagnosing vocal fach
During the evening, five singers of varying voice categories, ages, and levels of experience will be vocalized by Julia, and then will present a piece of repertoire to work on with Julia.