Hire Yourself: Producing Your Own Musical Performance or Project
Instructor: Dr. Julia Nielsen
When: Mondays, July 1, July 22, and August 12, 2019 from 6:30-8:30pm
Where: Julia’s studio
Fee: $165 for the 3-meeting series (if prepaid by June 24), or $180 for the 3-meeting series (after June 24)
Registration: Registration is limited to 10 participants. Please email Dr. Julia Nielsen at email@example.com to reserve a spot.
Participants: This mastermind/accountability group is open to both professional and serious avocational singers who have the drive to plan and produce their own musical performance or project.
- Are you tired of waiting for someone else to hire you?
- Do you believe that your opportunities to perform are limited to roles and contracts offered to you by established arts organizations?
- Do other commitments in your life prevent you from participating in the opportunities that are available (e.g., local choruses and opera companies)?
- Are you waiting for someone to give you permission to perform?
Wait no more. Hire yourself! If you’ve ever had the desire to create a musical opportunity of your own, but haven’t known where to start, or haven’t had the motivation to follow through, Hire Yourself is for you.
This hybrid mastermind/accountability group, limited to 10 participants, will meet three times over the course of the summer to help each participant actualize a self-produced musical performance or project. Like a mastermind group, we will use peer-to-peer mentoring to help participants brainstorm and solve their problems with input and advice from other group members. Like an accountability group, we will share our goals, report back on our progress, and hold each other accountable.
During the first session, we will discuss the concept of self-hiring, and brainstorm ideas for individual projects, which might include:
- A recital, either solo or with colleagues
- A recording project
- A video for your website or future auditions
- A self-produced opera
- A house concert
- A concert at or for a charitable organization (e.g., a retirement community)
During the second session, we will make concrete plans for accomplishing the steps necessary to actualize the project, which might include:
- Crafting a program/selecting repertoire
- Finding a venue
- Engaging collaborators (other artists, accompanists, audio/video recording technicians)
- Developing a rehearsal schedule
- Conducting advertising and fundraising
- Managing performance logistics like ticketing
And in the third session, we will check in on progress, troubleshoot together, and support one another’s progress towards the goal.
Finally, at dates in the future, we will attend or view each other’s completed projects!
All participants should plan to attend all three meetings. However, if you will be unable to attend just one of these three meetings in person, but could do so via FaceTime, or could listen to a recording of the session after the fact, those options will be available.