Breath Support: What, How, and Why
Instructor: Dr. Julia Nielsen
Format: Seminar (in person) and simultaneous webinar (online)
When: Monday, December 2, 2019 6:30pm-8:30pm
Where: Dr. Nielsen’s Studio, San Francisco, CA
Fee: $70 for studio members, $60 for early registrations prepaid by November 25
Description: Have you ever wondered:
- What is breath support anyway? And how do I know if I’m doing it?
- What muscles are involved and can I even control them?
- Are breathing and support the same thing?
- What is appoggio?
- Won’t support just take care of itself if “the vowel is right” OR “I’m in character” OR fill-in-the-blank?
- (For teachers) How do I teach support?
During Breath Support: What, How, and Why, Julia will help participants sift through a lifetime’s worth of often conflicting advice regarding breath support (“Push out!” “Pull in!” “Bear down!” “Open the ribs and hold them open!” “Don’t think about it!”) to come to a clear, fact-based understanding of what breath support truly is, how singers do it, and why their success depends on mastering it. Singers will leave the seminar/webinar with:
- A practical, concise definition of breath support
- An understanding of three myths about breath support
- Knowledge of lower body musculature related to breathing and support, and common support sensations in various muscle groups
- A dozen exercises to develop the coordination necessary for breath support
Registration: Please contact Dr. Julia Nielsen to reserve a spot.